Classified Ad Title:
Manager, Plant Engineering – Water & Wastewater
• Performs independent research to optimize performance of water and wastewater treatment processes
• Reviews and interprets plant, collection, and distribution system operating data to identify process problems and recommends operational solutions to the problems
• Performs operational inspections of treatment, collection, and distribution facilities, and monitors plant operations to ensure compliance with WSSC standards, and state, local and federal regulations; reports non-compliances
• Directs the operations, maintenance and programming of the digital process control system equipment and IT networks equipment
• Coordinates plant treatment process control testing and proper calibration of on-line analytical equipment
• Manages the development, modification and maintenance of the facility’s data management system for operational data, engineering plans and specifications
• Evaluates the training needs for personnel, arranges and administers training, assists with new employee orientation and assists operators preparing for the State of Maryland Operator’s License examination
• Reviews and updates standard operating procedures for plant systems and ensures accurate operational records are maintained
• Manages the operation and maintenance of associated off-site pumping stations and off-site facilities
• Supervises and directs plant engineers, civil engineers, first line supervisors, engineering assistants and interns assigned to the plant
• Reviews plans and specifications to help develop plant related designs, recommend equipment upgrades and process modifications
• Reviews state and federal permits for the facility to maintain compliance, assists with permit renewals or modifications and facilitates inspections for compliance
• Monitors all pertinent occupational, health and safety regulations and ensures compliance with all local, state, and federal requirements and facilitates inspections for compliance
• Prepares and revises chemical, material, and service contract specifications, reviews bids, recommends awarding of contracts, and acts as project manager representative of contracts
• Prepares new contracts and/or revises existing ones, reviews bids, recommends awarding of contracts, and acts as a Project Manager or the Project Manager’s representative (COTR) of contracts
• Keeps current with industry metering and measuring equipment; evaluates need for new equipment to maintain plant proficiency
• Requisitions materials, tools, chemicals and equipment based on the plant’s needs
• Reviews and performs analysis with various plant and process operating costs for economic comparisons to facilitate proposed plant modifications and staffing requirements
• Recommends allocation of budgeted funds and requests approval for major expenditures, authorizes petty cash outlays and payment requests upon approval, and initiates field purchase orders
• Assists with preparing the annual fiscal budget reports and various financial monthly and annual reports; participates in the long-range planning, organization and direction of activities relating to the operation and improvements to the plants and collection facilities/distribution facilities to maximize performance while minimizing cost and environmental impact
• BS degree in Mechanical, Civil, Environmental or Chemical Engineering or related discipline
• 5+ years’ experience in an industrial plant environment
• 2+ years’ experience in environmental, water or wastewater role
• Thorough knowledge of sound engineering principles and practices
• Ability to use solid professional engineering judgment and operating practices associated with water treatment/distribution facilities, wastewater treatment/collection facilities with the ability to manage same
• Considerable knowledge of the machines, equipment, materials and construction practices
• Ability to make engineering computations, estimates, and designs; able to review and interpret engineering plans and specifications
• Valid driver’s license with no more than 4 points
• Must currently possess (or obtain within 30 days) a Maryland Temporary Operators Certification for the facility assigned
• Must obtain and maintain a State of Maryland Samplers license within 6 months (if applicable)
• Must report to work as scheduled under all weather conditions and may be called or recalled to duty at any time
• Supervisory experience preferred.
• Work experience in operations, maintenance, and/or asset management in an industrial plant is ideal.
WSSC is one of the nation’s largest water and resource recovery utilities. Headquartered in Laurel, MD, we serve over 1.8 million commercial and residential customers in suburban Maryland. We are actively seeking Plant Engineering Managers - for both our water filtration & distribution plants and wastewater treatment plants to participate in a rotation program among our water and wastewater plants to gain broad experience in overall plant activities.
Major responsibilities include assisting the Plant Superintendent in the overall management of the plant and associated off-site pumping stations and facilities; and, overseeing the digital process control system activities. The Manager, Plant Engineering will assume all Plant Superintendent duties when designated.
Salary Range: $78,567- $119,936
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
To learn more about WSSC, visit our website at www.wsscwater.com. To view this vacancy (19-0212) and apply, please visit https://wsscwater.peopleadmin.com/.