Employment Opportunities Title:
Associate Engineer - Wastewater
General Statement/ Organizational Responsibilities
Performs entry-level engineering activities requiring some exercise of independent judgment in the planning, study, design, construction, modification and maintenance of wastewater transmission and treatment facilities. Works under the direction of a higher level Engineer.
1. Performs specific portions of complex engineering assignments under the direction of a more experienced engineer.
2. Designs and directs construction of modifications and repairs to existing wastewater, solids and support facilities. Level of direction from supervising or higher level engineer varies depending on type and complexity of project.
3. Collects, analyzes, and makes recommendations concerning technical engineering data related to planning, study, design, construction, modification, maintenance and monitoring of wastewater transmission and treatment facilities.
4. Inspects construction projects; coordinates activities and information as directed. Inspects construction of projects of other agencies which may affect District facilities.
5. Prepares written memoranda, reports and specifications.
6. Assists in the review and completion of studies, designs, specifications and drawings prepared by staff and consultants and provides comments/recommendations to the project engineer.
7. Assists in incorporation of project drawings into facilities drawings. Reviews existing facilities drawings and makes necessary revisions. Reviews plans and specifications for new facilities as assigned.
8. Assists in the performance of various tasks related to capital planning such as performing capacity studies and writing facility plan reports. May work with numerical models, District Service Area Mapping and plant operational data. May review and update cost estimates and documentation in support of the Capital Expenditure Schedule and other financial tools such as the Fixed Asset Register.
9. Performs engineering calculations.
10. Performs other engineering tasks as assigned.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in civil, environmental or mechanical engineering. Good technical, mathematical, and analytical skills as well as good written and verbal communications skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, consultants and contractors.
One year of previous work experience in an engineering position. Course work in sanitary or environmental engineering or related field. Master's degree in engineering or closely related field. Knowledge of wastewater technology and personal computer applications. Enrolled as an Engineer Intern (EI) in the State of Colorado.
Metro Wastewater Reclamation District
6450 York Street
Denver, CO 80229