Job Opportunities Title:
MCIN Crime Analyst
The City of Hyattsville is seeking an individual to fill the position of Contractual Grant Crime Analyst for the Hyattsville Maryland Criminal Intelligence Network Site (MCIN) Grant. This is a grant funded contract position with an annual salary range of $50,000 - $55,000. Placement within the range will be based on qualifications and experience. There are no other employment benefits or relocation expenses associated with the position. Full time position and incumbent will work 40 hours per week.
The Hyattsville City Police Department Maryland Criminal Intelligence Network Site (MCIN) addresses crime in the City and surrounding contiguous areas in Prince George's County. The program aggressively tracks violent offenders and criminal gang members utilizing investigations in a multi-agency collaboration with Federal, State, County and municipal public safety agencies and community partners. Grant funds provide salaries, and overtime pay for investigations and support crime reduction patrols targeted at the dismantling and disruption of criminal gangs and criminal offenders.
The MCIN Crime Analyst is a newly created civilian contract position and all relevant experience should be noted in the application and/or resume to be considered. The successful candidate will demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of database administration and mapping programs associated with crime analysis. The candidate will possess the ability to write reports of a technical nature and have a working knowledge of the criminal justice system.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Studying criminal patterns in an effort to predict the time, place and day that crimes might occur
- Enter data into databases including Case Explorer and Gang Net
- Track offender prioritized by the MCIN Operations Team to ensure their containment as well as their intersection with possible criminal related activities
- Acquiring and maintaining a working knowledge of the Department's Records Management System and other criminal justice databases
- Creating reports, sharing information and briefing the MCIN coordinator and partners
Demonstrated Skills and Abilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Prior Police and investigative experience is highly desired
- Project Management skills required
- Effective written, oral, and presentation skills required
- Ability to obtain certification on the Bureau of Justice Assistance Criminal Intelligence Systems Operating Policy (28 CFR Part 23) Training
Education and Experience
- Associate or Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Public Safety, Statistical Analysis or a related field preferred.
- Three (3) years of experience in a Public Safety or similar environment required.
- Equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
- Experience with database management preferred.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: The tasks identified are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position, and the City in its sole discretion, reserves the right to modify the duties of the position.
Applicants are required to complete and submit a City of Hyattsville employment application which is available online at www.hyattsville.org, along with a resume, cover letter and three professional references. The City of Hyattsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, disability, political or union affiliation. Applications may be picked up at the Hyattsville City Administrative Office, 4310 Gallatin Street, Hyattsville, MD, at the 3rd floor reception area, Monday thru Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Or Fax information to 301-985-5029.
The position remains open until filled. Questions specific to the duties/qualifications of this position may be directed to Captain Scott Dunklee at 301-985-5071. Questions regarding the application process should be directed to Cynthia Canfield, Coordinator, Human Resources and Special Projects at 240-487-1706.
Annual Salary Range - $50,000 - $55,000