Director, Institutional Research
- Job Name
- Director, Institutional Research
- Posting Date
- Brief Description
- Reporting to the Vice President for Information Technology, the Director of Institutional Research is charged to ensure that accurate, timely, and comprehensive institutional information and reports are available to meet the University’s operating, planning, analytic and compliance reporting needs.
- Job Type
- Education Level Required
- Location City
- Montclair, NJ , United states
- How to Apply
- Direct Link
- Click here for more info
- Job Details
Director, Institutional Research
Montclair State University
Reporting to the Vice President for Information Technology, the Director of Institutional Research is charged to ensure that accurate, timely, and comprehensive institutional information and reports are available to meet the University’s operating, planning, analytic and compliance reporting needs. The Director is also expected to prepare and coordinate the University’s external reporting of data for public information purposes and for compliance reporting to Federal and State agencies as well as to accrediting and program review entities. In addition, the Director is responsible for leading University efforts to assess institutional outcomes while working with management and with the Committee on University Effectiveness (CUE). In accomplishing these responsibilities the Director will supervise a staff of six Institutional Research professionals, work collaboratively with all segments of the Montclair State University community, and represent the University before State higher education coordinating bodies, regional accrediting associations, and professional associations.
- Develop and maintain centralized and comprehensive institutional research databases and reporting capabilities.
- Direct the collection, synthesizing, and interpretation of data and preparing reports for both internal and external use.
- Support and advise senior management and faculty in activities such as market research, enrollment projections, retention analysis, survey development, program assessment, and benchmarking.
- Develop special analyses and research studies in support of the University’s strategic planning, management, program review, and institutional improvement.
- Demonstrate leadership in the interpretation and utilization of institutional and external data to set strategies, assess performance against goals, and benchmark other institutions.
- Provide statistical and supportive information for executive and managerial policy formulation.
- Produce periodic environmental scans for planning and comparative benchmarking studies.
- Periodically report on key University performance indicators and track performance over time.
- Maintain knowledge of all institutional external reporting requirements and manage the University’s processes to assure compliance with these requirements.
- Direct preparation and submission of compliance reports containing institutional data for Federal (e.g., IPEDS) and State (e.g., New Jersey Commission on Higher Education) agencies, and accrediting bodies (e.g., Middle States Commission on Higher Education, NCAA, NCATE, etc.).
- Coordinate University-wide efforts to demonstrate institutional effectiveness as required for continued accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- Provide data to University faculty and staff to support proposals for external funding.
- Conduct student course evaluations and reporting/analysis of course evaluation results.
- Create and maintain appropriate data structures, systems, methodologies and tools for efficient use of University and other data resources by the office and the University community.
- Provide analytic advice and assistance to administrative and academic units engaged in assessment and program evaluation.
- Prepare a comprehensive array of semester and yearly data reports (e.g., Admissions and Enrollment Tracking Report, Daily Enrollment Report, semester Admissions and Enrollment Reports, annual Retention Report, the MSU Fact Book, etc.).
- Develop and maintain the Office of Institutional Research web site to effectively communicate information and share data.
- Act as liaison with faculty, administrators, and external agencies.
- Produce oral and written reports on results of research.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
- Masters or higher degree along with graduate-level training in research methods, survey research, and advanced statistical analysis.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in data analytics and reporting, including at least 5 years of experience in the Institutional Research field at a post-secondary institution.
- Demonstrated leadership in the areas of strategic planning, assessment of institutional effectiveness, student learning outcomes, and regional and specialized accreditation.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Banner, Workday, and/or comparable higher education administrative systems.
- Advanced ability to analyze and manipulate data within a complex data environment using appropriate technologies.
- Advanced capability in data systems design and data analytics.
- Ability to create value-added analysis and reports.
- Ability to work with all levels of the university community.
- An earned doctorate from an accredited institution of higher learning in a field of study related to the responsibilities of the position.
- Experience leading an Institutional Research office or a similar function within a Baccalaureate degree-granting college or university.
- Experience delivering reports, analyses, and websites using Tableau or similar visualization technology